Experience 5 Years
Qualifications Degree Bachelor
We have been engaged by a non-profit social-economic organisation to identify a Government Policy Analyst to support their new country entry and expansion efforts in Nigeria.
Reporting to the Government Relations Senior Manager for New Markets as a member of the global Government Relations and Policy Team you will lead regulatory/political analysis, risk management and government relations work in Nigeria to allow scouts and pilots teams to focus on designing and testing the viability of new program models.
The Analyst will be responsible for building a systematic approach to government relations support for expansion, in line with the needs of our internal clients and our team vision to be the internal experts on launching operations in new markets.
The Government Relations Department’s “Growth Team” closely supports the New Country Expansion (NCE) team to scope, scout and pilot innovative asset-based financing and last-mile delivery models in new markets.
- Internal consulting/advising on regulatory and operational feasibility of program models for new countries under consideration.
- Supporting on-the-ground scouting through high-quality desk research and in-person scouting support.
- Directly managing GR in early-stage pilot operations (Nigeria and India) by ensuring full regulatory compliance, establishing systems to de-risk key government relationships and managing local GR teams on the ground.
- Providing as-needed support to other teams and business units interested in expanding their operations to new countries.
Government Relations Support to Pilot Programs (85%):
- Lead all government relations work in pilot countries (Nigeria & India).
- Create and execute government relations strategies in pilot countries with support of Pilot Leads in line with program priorities (i.e. model viability-testing, scaling, etc.) and global Government Relations department objectives.
- Build robust government and external stakeholder networks in new countries to gather intelligence, de-risk field operations and unlock opportunities for pilot programs.
- Monitor, interpret and explain regulations and policies relevant to the organisation’s field operations
- Serve on the Pilot Leadership Teams for Nigeria and India, maintaining strong working relationships and coordination with Pilot Leads and ensuring GR, regulatory and risk dimensions are incorporated into decision making by country leadership. Produce high-quality, narrow analysis and actionable recommendations to pilot leads and leadership teams, as required.
- Manage and develop Local Government staff in Nigeria and India.
- Lead the approvals process for in-country growth into new jurisdictions within pilot countries, either directly or through direct reports.
- Develop, design and coordinate overall local government outreach (e.g. quarterly reports, field visits, etc.)
- Create and refine templates and tools to standardize and track government relations needs in new markets.
- Travel regularly to pilots to support government relations efforts including applications for registration, licenses, permits and other start-up administrative needs.
New Country Expansion, Scouting and Piloting Consultancy Services (15%):
- Conduct detailed research and analysis on political, regulatory, and operational landscapes in new countries to inform scouting and piloting decisions.
- Produce written briefs with clear recommendations that will support decision making on entry into new countries and inform actions taken during on-the-ground scouting.
- Accompany new country scouts to prospective new markets to contextualize desk research, establish early government relationships and support the scoping of and due diligence on potential partnerships.
- Provide advisory services on government relations and risk management to pilot teams from other internal business units doing expansion work, as needed.
PLEASE NOTE: This role requires a lot of local and international travel sometimes for weeks at a time, please bear this in mind before applying