Experience 6 Years
Qualifications Degree Bachelor
We have been engaged to identify a Senior Data Architect for a Social Enterprise Consultancy that provide support for Impactful Projects across Africa. As a bespoke consultancy that is driven by demand, they deploy solutions tailored to their clients’ contexts and needs with no competing agendas.
Reporting to the leadership team we are looking for a Senior Data Architect with strong data science skills and a passion for building solutions to difficult social problems.
We are looking for problem solvers!
Professionals who are strategic and demonstrate analytical foresight to create solutions that not only solve current problems but create solutions that will mitigate risks for foreseeable future. Most importantly, the ideal candidate should possess the ability to work independently to solve complex challenges from both a human and technological standpoint
This role is based in Nairobi; however we are accepting application from candidates across Africa. A relocation package will be provided for the right candidate
As a senior data scientist, you’ll also work across multiple high=profile projects and bring technical expertise to the team.
- Working with clients to understand their needs: Understanding their current processes and pain points and identifying which of these can be framed as a tractable data science problem.
- Providing technical oversight on multiple projects.
- Designing, testing, improving various algorithms: From OOTB scikit-learn algorithms to bespoke ones.
- Writing articles and blog posts to share our work for technical and non-technical audiences.
- Synthesising, visualizing, and communicating results: Dashboards, plots, interactive viz, presentations and reports
- Writing test cases, setting up CI/CD, and deploying solutions using cloud resources.
- Ensuring business problems are framed correctly: Not everything is a data science problem and a senior data scientist would have the expertise to make this judgement.
- Ensuring appropriate methods are being used to tackle the problem: Having a broad knowledge of methods would allow a senior data scientist to pick the one best suited for the task.
- Establishing standards and best practices: The senior data scientist will bring experience writing quality code and project management best practices.
- Doing code reviews: Every piece of code we write should be reviewed. Senior data scientists would often be a reviewer and also establish best practices for reviews.
- Provide mentorship to junior data scientists.
- Provide expertise in one or more of the following:
- Deep-learning: image classification/segmentation, sequence models
- Optimization under constraints: linear programming, evolutionary algorithms
- NLP: sentiment analysis, text summarization
- Other: performance tracking, on-line learning, contextual bandits, survival analysis
- Intermediate to advanced Python skills. Please do not apply if you are not an expert in standard data science packages in Python (numpy, pandas, scikit learn, etc.).
- Hands-on experience building and deploying supervised and unsupervised machine learning algorithms in production.
- Degree in Applied Math, Data Science, Computer Science, Physics, or Similar Technical Field.
- Strong foundations in statistics and probability.
- Minimum 4 years experience working as a data scientist in Python or R.
- Experience with version control and code management in git.
- Knowledge of good software engineering principles.
- Other required qualifications:
- Proven ability to work alone and with teams in a dynamic, multicultural environment.
- Passion for improving lives through technology.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English. Fluency in languages spoken in the Francophone region is an added advantage.
- Ability and interest in sharing knowledge, mentoring others, presenting work and reviewing the work of others.
- Deeply passionate about global development and improving lives in disadvantaged populations
- Open-minded self-starter who will thrive while tackling new, unusual and unpredictable challenges
The most competitive applicants will also have experience in one or more of the following:
- Advanced degree (Masters or Phd) in a technical field.
- Experience living and working in developing country settings.
- Experience working on optimization and unsupervised learning problems.
- Experience working on natural language processing problems.
- Experience working with SQL, custom APIs and AWS products like RDS, EC2, and Lambda.
- Experience with other programming languages especially R or Java.
- Experience working with GIS software such as QGIS.
- Experience working with satellite imagery / remote sensing data.
- Experience with Docker.